Share:

Kwong Wah Yit Poh

Kwong Wah Yit Poh or Kwong Wah Daily (simplified Chinese: 光华日报; traditional Chinese: 光華日報; pinyin: Guānghuá Rìbào) is a Malaysian Chinese daily that was founded on 20 December 1910 by Dr. Sun Yat-sen. The idea of publishing the Kwang Hwa Pao or 'Glorious Chinese Newspaper' was originally conceived when Dr Sun, Hu Hanmin, Huang Xing and Wang Jingwei visited Penang in 1907. The plan was aborted when financial backing wavered due to the collapse of tin prices. The Yangon branch of the Tongmenghui took up the idea and started the Yan Kon Kwang Hwa Pao. After a short run, the Rangoon paper was banned by the British colonial government due to its radical stance. Subsequently, the Rangoon Tongmenghui leader Zhuang Yin'an came to Penang and a committee was formed to revive the Kwang Hwa Pao as a daily paper. Renamed Kwong Wah Yit Poh, the newspaper was first printed at and published from at 120 Armenian Street, the current address of the Penang Philomatic Union. The first premises of the Kwong Wah Yit Poh is now the Sun Yat Sen Museum Penang. The house where the Kwong Wah Yit Poh was founded has been preserved as the Sun Yat-sen Museum Penang. Kwong Wah Yit Poh is one of the oldest Chinese-language newspapers in Malaysia (Nanyang Siang Pau is the oldest national Ch... ()

Additional Information

Official websites:
Fischer | Data Science ID: NEWSPAPERS:3793, Added: 07/15/2019